What to do if You’re Involved in a Car Accident While Traveling 

Share |

What to do if You’re Involved in a Car Accident While Traveling

If you are involved in a car accident while traveling away from home, you probably want to take certain steps to protect your legal rights.

The most important thing to do after your car accident is to seek medical attention for any injuries. It’s understandable to want to return home as quickly as possible, but you should see a doctor even if you think your injuries are minor. A headache or a slight pain in your back might turn out to be something more serious once the initial adrenaline rush from the accident wears off. If you fail to seek immediate medical attention, you may be limiting the amount of compensation you receive for any injuries from the accident. Delaying medical attention makes it more difficult to establish that your injuries are related to the accident and not caused by other factors.

You should also request a copy of the police accident report to show to your insurance company. If possible, gather photos of the accident scene and testimony from witnesses along with the appropriate contact information. Jot down your own account of the events while they are still fresh in your mind.

Rental Car Accidents

If you were driving a rental car at the time of the motor vehicle accident, you will need to fill out a separate accident report with the rental car company. If you did not purchase the optional rental car insurance, check with your credit card company to see if it provides rental car damage coverage. In some cases, your own car insurance company may cover damages to a rental car.

Contact Us

When you are involved in an auto accident out of state and want to pursue legal action against the driver responsible, you should contact an attorney in your home state first.   You can discuss with that attorney whether you need counsel in the other state as well. . Residents of Idaho, or people hurt here are encouraged to contact the attorneys at Holzer Edwards. Our lawyers specialize in car accident cases, so please call us today at (208) 386-9119 or toll-free at (888) 490-0992 for a free consultation.

Permanent link to this article: http://holzeredwardsinjurylawyers.com/2014/05/what-to-do-if-youre-involved-in-a-car-accident-while-traveling/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.