Truck accidents occur all of the time and, because of the immense size of some of the vehicles; the injuries that victims incur can be very severe. Truck accidents can be devastating for injured victims and their families. They often leave people coping with the effects of permanent injuries. And, accidents involving trucks lead to more fatalities. As we have written about in the past, there are special issues in cases involving Big Trucks.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
There are numerous causes of 18- wheeler truck accidents, but among he most common causes are:
·Distracted driving (use of electronics, eating, drinking, searching for items in the motor vehicle)
·Exhaustion (a common cause of trucking accidents)
·Poor weather (rain, hail, snow)
·Negligent driving actions of the operator (i.e. failure to check blind spots properly, switching lanes without proper notification to other drivers, etc.)
Filing Truck Accident Claims
Should you find yourself in a truck accident, there are a few things that you must do if you plan on filing an accident claim. Here are some tips so that you know what to do if you should find yourself in this position:
- Immediately contact the police and/or ambulance if you are able to.
- Collect the truck driver’s name, insurance information, the name of the trucking company, truck and trailer license plate and DOT numbers.
- Remember to take down numbers and contact information of all witnesses.
- Take pictures of the scene itself and areas around the scene (skid marks, etc.)
- Contact an experienced attorney like Holzer Edwards as soon as possible so that you can be properly advised
- Once you and your attorney evaluate your accident claim and start collecting evidence, your attorney will file the complaint with the courts and await a reply from the other party.
Truck Accident Attorneys
While at times it is impossible to avoid a truck collision, you do have options when considering filing a claim. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a truck accident, contact the attorneys at Holzer Edwards. We have a team of attorneys that are dedicated to helping individuals and families receive compensation for injuries that could have been avoided. Our lawyers specialize in truck accident claims, so please give us a call today at (208) 386-9119 or toll-free at (888) 490-0992 for a free consultation.