Our firm deals with cases involving children injured in collisions with unfortunate frequency. It is shocking to look at the data to see how many collisions change the lives of children and their families.
For example, the number one cause of death for American teenagers is car accidents. The statistics show that eight teenagers die each day in collisions. And here at Holzer Edwards we have seen far too many times what catastrophic injuries to, or the death of, a child in a wreck does to a family. It can be the worst, most devastating, experience that a family can endure. A family’s emotional and financial resources get drained and the loss of the child leads to many other lasses both tangible and intangible.
In fact, records from 2009 show around 3,000 teens in the United States aged 15–19 were killed in motor vehicle accidents. In addition more than 350,000 were treated in emergency departments for injuries from crashes. During the same year , 1,314 children ages 14 years and younger died as occupants in motor vehicle crashes, and approximately 179,000 were injured.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Dealing with children who face a lifetime of altered physical function and paralysis from these devastating injuries is heart wrenching. A partial or complete spinal cord severing injury robs a child of much of the normal enjoyment of life.
- Brain Injuries:. It is surprising how much brain trauma can be caused by even a minimal amount of impact. And, if a child is not properly restrained you have a greater chance of seeing disabilities like mental processing limitations and behavioral issues from a traumatic brain injury.
- Seatbelt Injuries. Not using a seatbelt can have a small collision become a big injury. While proper use of a seatbelt makes you safer, it is well-established that some seatbelt, particularly lap belts, cause injuries. And, there are some seatbelt design defects like the inability to adjust to a size small enough for a child that also lead to injuries.
- Air Bag Injuries. Air bags have caused many injuries and fatalities for children. This is particularly true where the child is improperly restrained.
- Children’s Car Seats and Booster Seats. Making sure the child is properly retrained prevents injuries. Unfortunately many children’s car seats have been found to be defective through the years. The Mayo Clinic has discussed 10 common mistakes that people make with Car seats. Using them wrong can cause an injury or make an injury accident worse.
- Seat Back Failure. Poorly designed or built seats can cause life-changing injuries, and even death to a child. This is important because the seat performs the same role in a rear-end collision as a seatbelt does for frontal impact. It is supposed to prevent the occupant from being thrown backward or ejected from the vehicle.
- Unsecured Cargo: In larger cars and SUVs unsecured cargo flying around the cabin in a collision can cause substantial injury to children as well.
In the end, our goal is to help an injured child and her family obtain the full compensation provided for by the law. That’s part of our belief that good lawyers help good people and our effort to be the best personal injury lawyers in Idaho. Helping the injured child put their injuries behind them and get focused on their future is our number one goal. We help people all over Idaho from our home base in Boise. Call us if you have any questions. The consultation is always free.
Whether you are in Boise, Meridian, Kuna, Nampa, Caldwell, Middleton, Eagle, Payette, Weiser, Mountain Home, Twin Falls, Emmett, Filer, Bruneau, Star, Greenleaf, Wilder, Melba, McCall, Cascade, Idaho City or anywhere in Idaho, you can consider us your injury lawyers because we are proud to be Idaho’s Injury Lawyers.